Welcome to the month of September, or should i say Pie Season. For the entire month of September I give you delicious recipes for pies, cobblers, and other tasty pie related recipes in prep for the holiday season.
- one 9 inch pie dough, (make/buy)
- 3/4 molasses
- 1 cup water (hot)
- 3/4 t baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1/8 t salt / pinch
- Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Add your pie dough to the 9 inch pie pan, crimping the sides to make it look prettier.
- Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, & salt all together in a bowl. Crumble in the room temperature butter, until a nice cornmeal consistency appears.
- Next you’ll want to combine molasses, water, egg and the baking soda. MIX well. Pour into the pie pan.
- Add the flour combination onto the molasses mixture and stick into the oven for 15 minutes at 425
- Lower the heat to 350 F and bake the pie for 20 minutes more or until the pie is set.
You wanted to know why it’s called Shoo-Fly Pie? Because during the early years of our country, the majority of baking was done outside. Flies would be attracted to the sweet sticky molasses, therefore be-gone flies.
Here’s the pie recipe I use every year – Pie Dough.