This post is apart of my other post “Friend’s Dinner.” I had my best friend and her husband come over when they were both not having a very good week and showed them that i cared the best way I could. Cooking. This dish that turns out delicious even if you do not put a lot of effort into it…..
Throughout the crazy in our own lives, we must think about the people around us. I care for these two like I would my own family. My way of showing I care is through my food. I make you delicious dinners to show my love because that’s how I know best.
My best friend and her husband have been going through a rough patch recently in their lives. Sickness, deaths in the family, and other problems. I’m not going to share too much because I don’t want to invade their privacy, but everybody needs to be reminded that somebody does care deeply. Life is short and we do have to go through the bad times to remind us those good days are still ahead. It may not seem like it at the time but it’s happening. That value of patience is hard to keep and we all know why.
Ingredients for the Apples:
- 8 Apples of any kind
- 4 table spoons of Honey Jack Daniels
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons of Honey
- 4 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of cloves
- Get a bowl of cold water ready for the apples. We don’t want to brown and the cold water prevents that.
- Peel all your apples and core them. After peeling place in water.
- Thinly slice your apples and put them back in the water when done.
- Once prepping your apples is completed, we have to get a skillet ready for cooking them. Add half the butter, strained apples, to start softening them up. I like mine to still have some bite to them, so I don’t cook them all the way through. This means you will have to have to test them as they go *find any taste tester who is willing.*
- Once the apples are almost done, add the rest of the ingredients to caramelize and make them sugary. You will need to have to cook the Jack Daniels off because it’s alcohol.
- Stir the apples around to make sure that they are all coated, soft but still have a little chew to them, and add them into a shallow dish to be baked
Ingredients for the Streusel:
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 flour
- 1/4 of softened butter (not melted)
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Recipe for Streusel:
- Add all the ingredients together and fluff with a fork. You want this to be more like crumbs. It will add a nice crisp to the top.
- Add to the top of the apples that you placed in a shallow dish spreading evenly around.
- Don’t go so perfect with the toppings, you want there to be dimension, it will look prettier for photos if you don’t flatten it.
- Put into 350 degrees oven until cooked throughly and the top is browned and hardened. About 30~40 minutes.
- Take out of oven and serve with ice cream.
Wanna check out the other post from this series? ↓
Unfortunately, I was unable to get a photo because we ate everything so quickly, but i promise you this was a delicious sweet dessert that pairs amazingly with ice cream. I’m going into my last year of college and it will try to keep the post going as fast as I can, but I think we can all agree that life can get crazy sometimes. My favorite season is coming up and I couldn’t be more excited. September through January are my favorite months because all the food, family and great memories made.
If you make of our posts we would love to know how it went! Leave a comment telling us what was good about the dish or what you would change. We also have a facebook, we recently hit over 400 follows to our page. So exciting! Thanks again.