This post is included in a series of several posts called “Family Night.” My family gets together and we basically have a pot luck. This is a good time for us because we get to see each other, newborn baby included, eat, drink, and have a good time. The kids run around while the family gets to eat food that really good.
I used to work at a Tex-Mex catering company for almost a whole year so I love making delicious tacos with chicken and homemade beans, fresh pico de gallo. The best part of this family night? I get to spend it with family.
- 3-4 medium/large chicken breast
- 1 can of 14 oz tomato juice
- half a medium onion – red or white
- 2 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoon of Chili powder
- 4 Tablespoon of cumin powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
The longest part of this recipe is boiling the chicken. You can always make this and then reheat it. A really good part of this recipe is that you can use the chicken in enchiladas, burritos, or even a Tex-Mex lasagna.
- Grab a deeper pan to boil the chicken. Submerge the chicken in the water after cutting them in fourths or in half. (lessens the cooking time).
- When chicken is shredding easily, take it out and put it in another bowl to shred. save 1/4 of the water that you used to boil the chicken, and dump the rest out.
- Saute the onion until soft and brown.
- add in the garlic
- Add the chicken back into the pan.
- Add the tomato juice, the two powders, and salt & pepper and stir till the chicken is coated.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Serve to your guests or freeze to use for a later date. If out longer than a week I recommend freezing.
This is an easy dish that allows the cooks themselves not a lot of work, but a good reward. While this was cooking, I was preparing the pork for the other tacos, the pico de gallo from scratch, and all of the other toppings to go on the tacos.
If you like these recipes and you give them a try, we would love to see some pictures. Follow us on our facebook page. We update weekly bringing you new family dishes to try every week.
Thank you guys once again for all the support and love!