I think that this might be my new favorite salad. It is just so fresh and crunchy and it is quite simple to make.
1 granny smith apple, Julienne
1 fennel bulb, Julienne
1/4 red onion, Julienne
2 T lemon juice
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
1 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup canola oil
- Julienne apple and squeeze fresh lemon juice over it. Reserve 2 T for dressing.
- Julienne the fennel and the onion. Reserve the fennel fronds to garnish.
- Mix the dressing: put the sugar, salt, pepper, and ginger in a small bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and the cider vinegar and dissolve by stirring.
- Slowly drizzle in the oil until a temporary emulsion begins.
- Toss over the apple, fennel and onion pieces.
- Snip the fennel fronds into small pieces and garnish.
Crunch away. If you don’t want to make your own vinaigrette, a poppy-seed dressing would probably complement this dressing or even a simple dab of yogurt even.
I’m a wife, mother, pastry chef and amatuer gardner. I travel as much as possible, can what I grow, and taste as many new things as possible.